Table of Contents

Preparing for Adulthood

The support and services offered to young people with SEND may change as they become an adult. Find out more about the help and support on offer both during and after this transition.


There are many organisations that can support you in finding employment, volunteering opportunities and training courses, some of which you could get paid for. Advice on your rights and applying for jobs is also available.

Find a job

The Supported Employment project within the Employment Solutions team supports individuals with learning disabilities, ADHD and/or autism move into and stay in work. When you access their support, you will get a dedicated Employment Officer who will work with you on a one-to-one basis to find the right pathway for your journey into employment. They can also support you when you start work.

Contact the team for more information:

Tel: 01709 249600


Employment Support (RMBC)

Your local Jobcentre can also help you find a job or gain new skills and tell you about disability-friendly employers in your area. If appropriate, they can refer you to a specialist work psychologist or carry out an employment assessment.

Contact Jobcentre Plus (

Or contact:

Disability Employment Advisors

Information is available on your rights whilst working, getting help at work if you are disabled or have a long term health condition, help on getting work and reasonable adjustments in the workplace on the GOV.UK website.

Work and disabled people (

Employment is for Everyone

Employment is for Everyone is a social movement and website of resources. Our aim is to improve the employment opportunities for people with a learning disability and autistic people. We work with people who are seeking employment and with businesses seeking to recruit. To make contact with us please email

Employment Opportunities For Autistic Adults (

The Autism Centre for Supported Employment

The Autism Centre for Supported Employment in Sheffield can help to find paid work and work experience placements for working aged adults who are on the Autistic Spectrum. They operate a waiting list for people from Rotherham. All their services are based in Sheffield. They also provide specialist support to clients and employers so that each individual gets the best out of the experience.

The Autism Centre for Supported Employment (

The National Careers Service

National Careers Service provides information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work.

Careers Advice ( 

Supported internships

Supported internships are a structured, work-based study programme for 16 to 24-year-olds with SEND, who have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan. The core aim of a supported internship study programme is a substantial work placement, facilitated by the support of an expert job coach.

The National Development Team for Inclusion (NDTi) have produced an easy read guide to supported internships:

What are Supported Internships? – an Easy Read guide for young people

NDTi supports our local authority to increase Supported Internships across the borough through the Internships Works project.

For more information about NDTi, please visit their website:

National Development Team for Inclusion (

Looking for Supported Internships

Rotherham Opportunities College offer places on the internship programme Project Search:

Rotherham Opportunities College (

Landmarks Specialist College can also offer places on supported internships:

Landmarks Specialist College (

Rotherham College offer supported internships:

Supported Internships (

NHS Health Education England offer supported internships for young people with learning difficulties or disabilities and/ or Autism

Choices College – Supported Internships (formerly Project Choice)

Download a booklet about Project Choice:

Supported internships in the NHS

Barnsley College offer supported internships:

Barnsley College Supported Internships

Success stories

The following YouTube video includes the stories of 4 supported interns working for Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council in Riverside House:

Supported Internships: Rotherham MBC


A traineeship is a course with work experience that gets you ready for work or an apprenticeship. It can last up to six months.

Traineeships (

For general information about traineeships, see the GOV.UK website:

Traineeships (


Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job alongside learning. Apprenticeships are available at Intermediate, Advanced and Higher (Degree) levels and can take one to five years to complete depending on their level.

As an apprentice you will:

  • work alongside experienced staff
  • gain job-specific skills
  • earn a wage
  • get time for study related to your role (usually one day a week

The British Association for Supported Employment (BASE) have information about Inclusive apprenticeships for individuals with SEND

Inclusive Apprenticeships (

Rotherham College have information about local apprenticeship opportunities:

Apprenticeships (

See the GOV.UK website for general information about apprenticeships:

Find an apprenticeship (

Work experience

Voluntary Action Rotherham

The Volunteer Centre Rotherham promotes volunteering across the borough and advises hundreds of people each year who wish to find out about volunteering opportunities and refers them to volunteer involving organisations in and around Rotherham.

Click the link below to find out more.

What is volunteering? (

Down’s Syndrome Association – Work Fit

If you have Down’s syndrome and want to find work opportunities, you can register on to the WorkFit programme.

Employment (

Supported Employment

Employment Solutions Team

Thinking about getting back into work, or simply making the steps towards employment offers a great deal of benefits to your emotional and physical wellbeing. The Employment Solutions Team programme is made up of dedicated key workers who can help you to develop basic skills and move towards or into employment. The support they offer is tailored to individual needs and includes employment help, training support and help to access education and work experience.

Employment Support (RMBC)

Autism Plus

Autism Plus offer specialist support for individuals seeking employment, and In-Work support for anyone who is employed and needs help within the workplace. There is usually a charge for this service in Rotherham.

Individual Support (

The Autism Centre for Supported Employment

The Autism Centre for Supported Employment can help to find paid work and work experience placements for working aged adults who are on the Autistic Spectrum. They also provide specialist support to clients and employers so that each individual gets the best out of the experience.

The Autism Centre for Supported Employment ( 

Additional Information

National Development team for Inclusion (NDTi)

The National Development team for Inclusion (NDTi) have published several resources around employment.

Preparing for Adulthood: Employment Resources (

Buckland Review of Autism

In February 2024, the government published the The Buckland Review of Autism Employment: report and recommendations.

The report considers the barriers to employment for autistic people and how those barriers might be overcome.

The Buckland Review of Autism Employment: report and recommendations (

Friends, Relationships and Community

Healthy relationships are important. We may have romantic relationships, relationship with friends, and casual relationships we have with work colleagues. Sometimes these relationships don’t run smoothly, and we can encounter problems such as arguing, abuse and emotional distress.

Preparing for Adulthood: Friends, Relationships and Community (

Rise Above

Rise Above is a website aimed at young people where you will find interesting and useful things from the web and beyond to get us all talking about the things that matter to us. You’ll find inspiring and useful stories, videos, games and advice.

It covers topics such as ‘keeping safe’, friendships, self-confidence, self-image and stress.

Rise Above (

My Mind Matters

My Mind matters provides advice and support on many mental health matters for young people in Rotherham, including advice on relationships, where to get help and information on abusive relationships.

My Mind Matters (


Speakup offer accessible information, training and resources that improve the lives of people with learning disabilities and/or autism, including information what to do if you have been a victim of hate crime.

Speakup (

Internet Safety

Healthy Surfers is a project from SpeakUp and offers advice on using the internet safely for things about your health and help you live a healthy life.

Healthy Surfers (

Good Health

Young people are supported to manage their own health as they move into adulthood. Young people with learning disabilities are registered with GPs from 14 and annual health checks and plans are offered. Health practitioners use person-centred approaches and will work in partnership with education and social care colleagues as part of the EHC planning process.

Annual Health Checks: Learning disabilities (NHS)

Transitions: Aged 16 to 19 years old

There is information about transitions in health services in the Health and wellbeing section:

Moving to adult services

This includes

  • Co-ordination of care
  • Annual health checks
  • Making decisions and giving consent
  • Eligibility for care packages
  • Transition pathways
    • Speech and language therapy
    • Occupational therapy and Physiotherapy
    • Ear care and Audiology service
    • Mental Health services
    • Learning Disability services
  • Hospital passports

Transitions: Aged 18 years old and above

There is information about adult health services throughout the Health and wellbeing section.

Health and Wellbeing

There are details about adult services within the following content:

  • ASD and ADHD assessments in Rotherham
  • Care packages
  • Continence
  • Emotional wellbeing and mental health
    • Kooth: age 11 to 25
    • Qwell: age 18+
    • RDASH
      • Learning disability service for adults
      • Adult mental health services
  • Medical needs in school
    • Preparing for adulthood
  • Moving to adult services
    • see details above
  • Specialist equipment and wheelchairs
    • Mobility aids and postural support
    • Communication aids
  • Therapy services
    • Speech and Language therapy
    • Occupational therapy
    • Physiotherapy

Independent Living

Independent living gives you choices about and control over:

  • your life and the support you get
  • where and how you live, including supported living

Your Rights

Disability Rights UK has many fact sheets to download about your rights, and guides on living independently.

Guidance and Resources (

Support from Rotherham Council

Rotherham Council can help with a number of matters around independent living.

Health and Social Care (RMBC)

Rotherham Leaving Care Service

The service supports and prepares young people for independent living, ensuring that all care leavers have access to suitable accommodation and opportunities for education, employment and training, through tailored approaches

Rotherham Leaving Care Local Offer (RMBC)

Council homes

Council homes are houses or flats for rent by the local authority. Rotherham council houses are for people or families with established links to Rotherham. They usually have lower rent than private housing.

People who want to apply for council housing make bids on properties that meet their needs. Young single people can make bids on flats maisonettes and bedsits. A couple or family can also bid on houses. Flat-shares or house-shares are not available through council housing.

You may be waiting a while for a property depending on your individual circumstances.

Who can apply?

You can apply if you are 16 or over and have a connection to Rotherham going back at least three years. If you are between 16 and 18 years old, you will need a guarantor before signing a tenancy.

There are full details of who can apply for housing in the document below:

Housing Allocation Policy November 2023 (pdf)

How can I apply?

You can apply though Housing Online. Please click on the link below

RMBC Housing Online

This is what you do to apply:

  1. You must register your email address and create a password.
  2. Complete your registration by clicking on a verification link. This is sent to your email address.
  3. Log into your new account with your email address and the password you created.
  4. Click on “Create a new application,” to get to the forms for you to complete.
  5. You will also need to upload evidence of the following:
    • Identity, such as a passport or birth certificate
    • Income, such as payslips, benefit letters and so on
    • Current address, such as utility bills
    • Proof of a local connection to Rotherham dating back at least 3 years
    • Bank account
    • Current landlord details and any existing tenancy agreements
  6. Call or email Key Choices when you have completed the forms and submitted the evidence. Then, you can book a pre-tenancy interview.
    Tel: 01709 336009
    Please note: If you phone Key Choices, they can look at your application while you are on the phone. This may be quicker than waiting for a call back following an email.
  7. Key Choices will refer young people who have never held their own tenancy to Rush House. They will send a link to complete an online tenancy workshop called ‘APOYO’, A Place of Your Own.
    Pre-Tenancy Training (
  8. You may be able to get medical priority housing if you have a physical disability or care and support needs. You will also need to apply for medical priority. To do this, use the following link:
    Apply for rehousing on medical grounds (RMBC)

There are guides to support you in making an application:

Housing Services: User Guides (RMBC)

If you are struggling to complete the housing application and you do not have any support to assist you, please call Key Choices to speak to an adviser. They can discuss the best way to move forward.

Key Choices: 01709 336009

What happens next?

Once you have had your pre-tenancy interview, your application will be activated. You can then view available properties online. You can then make bids on properties you are interested in.

There is further support and guidance on bidding on the council website. Please click the link below to see a guide prepared by the Housing Online team:

Rehousing and Allocations User Guide (pdf)

Key Choices cannot offer individual support for placing bids. The advert will include the street, type of property, approximate room sizes and type of bathing. We recommend checking the local area before placing a bid.

If want to place a bid and are struggling, a manual bid can be placed on your behalf. Phone Key Choices and speak to an adviser.

If you think you may struggle to place bids in the future, you can have ‘autobid’ activated on your application. The system can be set to place bids automatically. We ask for chosen areas for this to minimise bids being placed in unsuitable areas, such as too far from family support. This will be discussed at the pre-tenancy interview when the application is activated to work out the best outcome for you.

Bids are accepted in priority of need and suitability. If you are eligible for the housing register, you will be placed in either, Band 1, 2, 3 ,4 or the Transfer Band. This will depend on your level of need according to the Council’s housing allocation policy.

At the close of the advertising cycle a shortlist is produced of all applicants who have placed a bid, depending on your Band and Effective Date. Your effective date is the date your banding is awarded following receipt of documents.

It is not possible to give a timescale for when you will be re-housed. Each property is shortlisted individually. The shortlist is dependent on who else has placed a bid.

The more bids you place, the more likely you will be matched with a property sooner. Please be aware that there is a shortage of all types of properties. You are unlikely to find a suitable property quickly. For more details see the document of Frequently asked Questions about the Rotherham Housing Register provided by RMBC:

Housing Register: Frequently asked questions (pdf)

Housing and living in a community


Speakup are experts in developing and delivering accessible information, training and resources that improve the lives of people with learning disabilities and/or autism.

Speakup (

Shared Lives

Shared Lives allows adults to live or spend time with carers and their families – as valued members of their own communities.

Adults with disabilities receive tailored support. This helps them to live as independently and safely as possible.

Shared Lives (RMBC)

Mencap Learning Disability Helpline

The Learning Disability Helpline is a free helpline service offering advice and support for people with a learning disability, and their families and carers.

Learning Disability Helpline (

Preparing for adult life

Preparing for adulthood means preparing to continue learning, living independently, participating in society being as healthy as possible in adult life.

When does it start?

Preparing for adulthood formally begins at year 9 (age 13/14) and can continue up to 25 years of age if there is an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) in place. For some young people when the EHCP finishes, if they have health and social care needs, they will continue to have those needs met. Each transition plan will be unique, based on the individual’s circumstance and needs, we call this ‘person centred planning’.

What are the benefits?

The benefits of starting to plan at year 9 allows time to research options, plan the appropriate path and put in place any support the young person needs in their final years at school to make sure their progression in the future is successful. Planning early aims to make the transition into adult life smooth.

Any decisions or choices made are flexible. Young people’s ideas and wishes may change. However, it is a chance for people to start to look at what will be needed.

Identifying young people’s needs and aspirations early will help identify any gaps in service provision and shape the future provision of education, health and social care services in Rotherham.

It is really important that parents understand what support is available. This will depend on the young person’s level of need.

The National Development Team for Inclusion (NDTi) have tools and resources for preparing for adulthood on their website.

Preparing for Adulthood: All Tools and Resources ( 

Contact, a charity for families with disabled children, also have advice on preparing for adult life.

Preparing for adult life ( 

Rotherham Adult Transitions Team

Transition is the time when young people are moving from children’s services into adult services. Services for adults differ from those for children, so it is important that young adults get the support they need during this time.

This is a very important stage in a young person’s life because they need to make plans for their future.

The Right Planning at The Right Time

Good planning for a transition will help a young person adjust to becoming an adult and lead a more enjoyable and fulfilling adult life. To ensure the right advice and support is given, the transitions team will carry out a transition assessment to find out just what the young person may need as they approach adulthood.

You can download more information about the Rotherham Adult Transition team:

Who are we

Who is eligible for support?

Advice & Support is available for young people approaching adulthood who

  • live with a disability
  • live with autism, mental health problems or ongoing illness
  • are soon to be care leavers who require support to live independently

The transition assessment

The assessment will be based on the young person’s eligible needs and hopes for the future as they begin adult life. It will consider their wellbeing, including building a fulfilling social life and contributing to society, as well as basic living needs.

When will an assessment be completed?

The young person will be assessed at a time that works for them.

If they feel they need extra support such as an advocate, the team will arrange this.

The team will start the assessment by attending some existing meetings, such as school reviews, usually between age 14 to 16, so the young person can get to know them.

They aim to finish the assessment by age 17 and a half, but this is not the case for everyone.

You can download more information about care assessments:

What is an assessment?

You can download an easy read preparation document for a care assessment:

How can I prepare for my assessment?

Identified needs

The team will complete an assessment under the Care Act 2014 & consider what, if any, advice and support is required – in line with The Care Act 2014 Eligibility Criteria.

The assessment helps to identify what the young person’s strengths and needs are. The team will then work with them and (where applicable) family members, carers or someone who knows them well to build a transition plan.

The team will consider the identified needs and look at the help and support available including friends, local community services and specialist help if needed. If needs change over time, the support plan will change too.

If the assessment outcome does not result in services, the team will explain why this decision has been made and provide information and advice explaining other support that may be provided by other organisations such as the voluntary sector.

You can download a fact sheet about the Care Act 2014 and the transition for children to adult care and support:

Care Act Factsheet

You can download more information about the Care Act eligibility criteria:

Care Act Eligibility

You can find out more about the Care Act in an EasyRead booklet:

Care Act – EasyRead (Department of Health)

Decision Making

Young people are deemed to be able to make decisions regarding their care and support needs independently of their parents and/or carers under The Mental Capacity Act 2005.

In cases where their health and/or impairment has resulted in them not being able to make some decisions independently, decisions will be made by the people and professionals who know them best under ‘Best Interest’ Guidelines. A young person’s transitions assessment worker will provide more guidance on this during the assessment process.

You can download more information about mental capacity:

What is the Mental Capacity Act?

Direct Payments

Following assessment, it may be identified that the young person can access a Direct Payment.

A Direct Payment is where RMBC provide the young person with the funds to meet the cost of the care services which they have been assessed for. The young person can then purchase their own assessed care and support services instead of RMBC purchasing it for them.

You can download more information about direct payments:

Direct payments


If the young person is cared for by someone, they are also entitled to an assessment and possibly support under The Care Act 2014. The young person’s transitions worker will complete a carer’s assessment if the carer would like to do so. If the carer would prefer an independent assessment worker, this can be requested.

You can download more information about the eligibility crieria for a carer assessment:

Carer Assessment Eligibility


Adult social care is not free and there are charges for some of the services that are provided. However, no-one has to pay more than they can afford and the amount payable is based on a financial assessment. As well as help with budgeting, the team also offer advice on benefit entitlement.

You can download more information about financial assessments:

Financial Assessment


There is a lot of support available if you are considering starting your own business.

Rotherham Youth Enterprise

Rotherham Council offers access to self-employment support and advice for young people from ages 18 to 30.

Early Help (RMBC)

Sheffield City Region Growth Hub

Sheffield City Region Growth Hub is working with a range of organisations and individuals to encourage entrepreneurship and provide important support for Start-Up businesses whilst enabling early stage businesses to be sustainable longer term and to grow.


Disability Grants for the Disabled

Your local Job Centre Plus or Citizens Advice will be able to tell you about “in work” benefits such as the Disabled Person’s Tax Credit and Access to Work. Disability Living Allowance (DLA) isn’t affected by self employment and the Carers Allowance has the usual restrictions whatever your employment status.

Business Grants for the Disabled (

The Prince’s Trust

The Princes Trust work with 18 to 30-year-olds to turn big ideas into a business reality through their Enterprise programme. From training and mentoring to funding and resources, support is available in person or online.

Support for starting a business (

Register for and file your Self Assessment tax return

If you’re self-employed you’ll need to register for Self Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance as soon as you can after starting your business. You need to do this even if you’ve completed tax returns before.

File your Self Assessment tax return online (

Set up as a sole trader

If you’re a sole trader, you run your own business as an individual and are self-employed.

Set up as a sole trader (

Travelling around

There are many ways you can travel to work, school, university or your training placement. Advice and support is available to help you decide the best way to get there, how to stay safe along with help with travel costs.

Ambitious About Autism

Ambitious about Autism is a national charity for children and young people with autism. They offer advice for people with autism and their families, including how to cope travelling by public transport.

The public transport survival guide (

Travel training from Speakup

Safety Circles is a project to help people with learning disabilities and/or autism to be safer on the roads or walking.

Safety Circles (

Driving mobility

Driving Mobility is a network of 16 independent organisations covering England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, which offer professional, high quality information, advice and assessment to people who need to gain or retain independence through mobility

Driving Mobility (

Journey Planning

Travel South Yorkshire offer several online tools, including live departure information, interactive maps and online journey planners.

Travel South Yorkshire Journey Planning (

Apply for a travel pass

The Disabled Person’s Pass entitles disabled people to free off peak travel on buses across England (plus additional concessions in South Yorkshire) through the English National Concession Travel Scheme (ENCTS). You may also qualify for a ‘with carer’ pass if you receive certain allowances.

Apply for a travel pass (RMBC)

Autism Alert Card

The Autism Alert Card enables those that carry it to identify themselves to workers in emergency services as having an Autism Spectrum Disorder so that they can gain a full understanding of their needs.

I am autistic card (

Independent Travel Training

There is information about Independent Travel Training in the Travel section of the Local Offer

Transport/Getting Around – Independent Travel Training (ITT)

Support for people with Autism or Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)

RANSS is a support service for neurodiverse adults (18+) with a Rotherham GP. We offer person centred post-diagnostic support from Peer Support Workers with lived experience of autism or ADHD alongside group workshops. We also facilitate meet ups, activities and focused group discussions on neurodiversity related topics for adults with a new or historic diagnosis of autism or ADHD*.

What help/ support is available?

Adults with a new autism or ADHD diagnosis can access a limited number of peer support sessions, counselling sessions and a 4-week group workshop to help them explore their diagnosis, and what it means for them as an individual.

We have a number of established group activities running and are looking to develop and offer further activities and focused group discussion sessions.

To find out more, visit the RANSS website or call 01709 296262 to find out more

Rotherham Adult Neurodiversity Support Service (

How can I use this service?

You don’t need to be eligible for adult social care.

To be eligible to access our support for newly diagnosed adults you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be over 18 years old
  • Be registered with a GP who is part of Rotherham Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)
  • Have received a diagnosis of autism or ADHD within the last 12 months

To access our activities and focused group workshops you need to meet the following criteria:

  • Be over 18 years old
  • Be registered with a GP who is part of Rotherham Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)
  • Have a new or historic diagnosis of autism or ADHD*

*Some of our sessions are also open to people who are on the diagnostic pathway, or who are questioning whether they have autism or ADHD.

Some quotes from people who have accessed the RANSS service:

“I knew I had a phone call today and I am glad I was able to speak to you. It has helped to empty some of my bucket and so I feel much better”

“It was really helpful for me. I learned a lot from the other people on the training. It has helped me to understand a lot more about autism and a lot more [about] myself”

“The Friday groups & walks on Wednesday have become a really enjoyable part of my week. Meeting like minded people in a relaxed environment is great and the support workers are so welcoming and friendly. I feel like I’m part of a community”

My Front Door

Information on the Rotherham Council website for adults with learning disabilities and adults with autism about activities, support, employment options and more.

My Front Door (RMBC)

Feedback form

Local Offer Feedback Form

Local Offer Feedback Form

Are you completing this as a:
Would you like to be involved in further work around improving the Local Offer?
Name (If you answered yes)
Name (If you answered yes)

How would you rate your experience?
Please let us know what you like or dislike about our website so we can improve the service we provide. Please note that the more detail you provide, the better we can help with any concerns or problems you may have.
Enter your email if you'd like us to contact you regarding your feedback.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!

Local Offer Feedback Form

Local Offer Feedback Form

Are you completing this as a:
Would you like to be involved in further work around improving the Local Offer?
Name (If you answered yes)
Name (If you answered yes)