Toggle sidebar

Disputes, complaints and disagreements

Disputes, complaints and disagreements information and support

We all want to achieve the best outcomes for children and young people with special educational needs or a disability.

However, sometimes things may not go as you wish and you may want to raise an issue of concern.

Disputes about EHC plans

Complain about a Council service for children and young people

Complain about a school

SEND complaints: guide for young people aged 16 to 25 in education

You can ask for support in raising issues of concern from Rotherham Parents Forum or Rotherham SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service).

SENDIASS provides free impartial, confidential and accurate information, advice and support about education, health and social care for children, young people and their parents on matters relating to special educational needs and disability.

Below is a video to help children and young people with SEND and their parents learn about the service and support on offer from their local "Information Advice and Support Service" and how a local IASS team can be contacted - including how to access the national Helpline.

Complaints about health services

When making a complaint you can choose to complain to either the healthcare provider i.e. the organisation where you received the NHS service, for example your hospital or healthcare provider or the NHS Rotherham Clinical Commissioning Group which is the organisation that paid for the service or care you received.

Complain to NHS Rotherham Clinical Commissioning Group 

Complain to Rotherham Hospital 

Complain to RDASH (CAMHS and Learning Disability Services) 

Ask for support in raising issues of concern regarding health services from Rotherham Healthwatch. 

Formal Disagreement Resolution

The Disagreement Resolution Service is there to help resolve three kinds of disagreement between parents or young people and the organisations that are responsible for making provision for children and young people with special educational needs. These are:

  • How early years providers, schools and further education institutions carry out their duties for children and young people with SEN.
  • The special educational provision made for a child or young person by early years providers, schools or further education institutions.
  • Health or social care provision when this part of an EHC needs assessment, while EHC plans are being drawn up, reviewed or when children or young people are being reassessed.

Find out more about resolving disagrreements

Feedback on the Local Offer

We welcome any feedback or comments both good and bad about the Rotherham SEND Local Offer.

Leave a comment about the SEND Local Offer

Alternatively you may wish to complain about the service.
Complain about the SEND Local Offer

Disagreements about the EHC process or plan

If you are unhappy with decisions made about the local authority's EHC assessment or EHC plan, please talk to the SEND Assessment Service Manager in the first instance on 01709 822660. It is important that you do this as soon as possible due to timelines around mediation and tribunal appeals.


Mediation is a type of disagreement resolution for EHC related disagreements that can be appealed to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal. The service is free and confidential.

If parents and young people want it to, mediation can take place following decisions by the local authority not to carry out an EHC needs assessment, not to draw up an EHC plan, after they receive a final EHC plan or amended plan, following a decision not to amend an EHC plan or a decision to cease to maintain an EHC plan.

Find out more about mediation

Appealing the outcome of an EHC request, assessment or plan

If you are unhappy with the outcome of an EHC request, assessment or plan and have not resolved this through contacting the service or mediation you may be able to appeal to the Tribunal.

Rotherham SENDIASS has more information about the appeals process and offers independent advice and support should you wish to proceed with an appeal.

Find out more about SEND Tribunal Appeals