Types of school

Mainstream school
A state school teaching pupils of a wide range of abilities and aptitudes.
Mainstream school with specialist provision
A mainstream school with some additional specialist support available on site for pupils with an EHCP for SEND.
Pupil referral unit (PRU)
An alternative education provision for pupils who are not able to attend school for a number of reasons, including exclusion
Special school
A state school where pupils have special educational needs or disabilities and an EHCP. Special schools usually teach pupils with a similar range of needs, for example, severe learning disability, or complex autism.
Independent school
A fee-paying school
Independent special school
A fee-paying special school where a pupil’s fees may be paid by the Local Authority if they are the only setting which can provide the needs of the pupil as set out in their EHCP.