Toggle sidebar

The Graduated Response

Most children and young people with Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND) will have their needs met through mainstream education. The Code of Practice makes it clear that high quality teaching which is adapted for individual pupils is the first step in responding to possible SEND.

The Graduated Response

Educations settings, schools and colleges must as part of their normal budget planning, determine their approach of using their resources to support the progress of children and young people with SEND. If a child or young person then fails to make adequate progress, planned interventions and increasing access to specialist expertise should implemented.

When a provider makes special educational provision for a child or young person without an EHC plan, they must tell the parent/carers or young person what is happening.

In colleges, planning and reviewing of SEND support should closely involve the student, parents (where appropriate), teaching and support staff and a member of staff who is aware of the additional SEND support along with any other relevant professionals.

Graduated response to need in education settings

Identifying SEND - Guide for parents and carers

For children and young people who have a Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND), different levels of support are required at different times. Children and young people with the most complex needs, as well as their parents and carers, may need access to ongoing support and advice.

We aim to provide a range of support so that children and young people with SEND can be educated and enjoy social opportunities alongside their peers in their local community, wherever possible.

Getting the right support

Early Years

Complex developmental and/or learning needs are sometimes identified at birth or within the early years. This enables the health service to discuss their concerns with parents/carers and with parental consent inform the Local Authority that a young child is likely to have special educational needs. Advisory or specialist teachers, educational psychologists, and the Portage Service (Tel: Educational Psychology Service 01709 822580/ Portage Service 01709 822407) can then become involved with supporting that child and family.

These specialists may draw up an SEND Support Plan with the family/carers. The plan can then be used to support requests for additional support if a child attends an early years setting.

The Graduated Response materials for all areas of SEND

The attached documents have been co-produced by SEND services and SENCOs to model the graduated response to need. Each document focusses on an area of SEN and identifies what provision would be typically available at Universal (Wave 1), Targeted (Wave 2) and Bespoke (Wave 3).

Resources for SEND Support in Schools and Colleges

All mainstream schools and colleges are provided with funding, in line with a nationally determined formula that they should use to support those with additional needs. The distribution of funding is agreed locally and provides for:

Element 1: an amount of money for each pupil in the school

This is the core budget for each school, used to provide education and support for all pupils in the school including those with SEN and disabilities.

Element 2: the school's notional SEN budget

Every school receives an additional amount of money to enable them to provide special education for children and young people with SEND.

The government has recommended that schools should use this notional SEN budget to pay for up to £6,000 worth of special educational provision to meet a child's SEN. Most children and students with SEND need special educational provision that comes to less than £6,000.

Although colleges do not have a notional SEN budget, they do have additional funding for students with SEN.

Element 3: top-up funding

An Education, Health and Care assessment ‘assesses’ individual need. As noted, schools would be expected to make their best endeavours to include and provide to meet children’s needs under the graduated response. Where an assessment of need is made and an agreement to issue a EHCP, there may be need for element 3 top up funding.

Education, Health and Care Plans