Toggle sidebar

Education, Health and Care Plans explained

How do I get an EHCP?

EHC plans are drawn up by the Local Authority after an EHC needs assessment. You, your child's education provider or your child if they are aged over 16, can ask your local authority to carry out an assessment.

If the special educational provision being made for a child or young person by an early years setting, school or college is not enabling the child or young person to make adequate progress then it may be necessary to request an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Assessment.

All involved, parent/carers, settings and support services and (if appropriate) young people should work together to make the request to the Local Authority.

Download Special Education Needs and Assessment and Planning guide for parents

Download EHCP guides