The document ‘Supporting pupils with medical conditions’ gives statutory guidance from the Department for Education.
This statutory guidance is for:
- governing bodies of local-authority-maintained schools
- proprietors of academies
- management committees of pupil referral units (these are places that provide education for children who can’t go to a mainstream school)
It’s also relevant for anyone supporting children with medical conditions.
The template document below gives example text that schools can use to:
- create and invite parents to contribute to a child’s individual healthcare plan
- ask for parental agreement for administering medicine
- keep a record of medicine administered to children
- keep a record of staff training in administration of medicines
Statutory guidance sets out what schools and local authorities must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.