Toggle sidebar

Education and training for 16 - 25 years olds

There are a number of organisations that can help you find further or higher education courses once you have left school or if you are looking to go to university.

Information regarding local learning and training opportunities is available.

Further Education

Time-line for post 16 options

A checklist for schools supporting transition for young people to post 16 opportunities.

Download the checklist

Post 16 education and training providers in and around Rotherham

Colleges and sixth form providers

Post-16 Further Education Provision and Specialist Colleges

Colleges- General FE

Specialist Colleges


For information regarding other post 16 providers

Visit the UCAS website

For a full list of independent schools for pupils with special educational needs, including those approved under section 41 of the Children and Families Act visit the Government website.

Independent special schools and colleges


Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job alongside learning. Apprenticeships take one to five years to complete depending on their level.

As an apprentice you will:

  • work alongside experienced staff
  • gain job-specific skills
  • earn a wage
  • get time for study related to your role (usually one day a week)

Post-16 Apprenticeships

Find and apply for an apprenticeships


A traineeship is a course with work experience that gets you ready for work or an apprenticeship. It can last up to six months.


Supported internships

Supported internships are for young people aged 16 — 24 with learning difficulties or disabilities, who want to get a job and need extra support to do this. To be eligible you need a Statement of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) or an Education Health and Care Plan.

Rotherham Opportunities College
Brunswick Road
S60 2RR
01709 242858

Visit the Rotherham Opportunities College (ROC) website

Apply for a supported internship offered through Barnsley or Sheffield College

Apply for a supported internship offered through Landmarks College in Rotherham

Apply for an internship or opportunities at Rotherham College

Post 19 study

Gain the skills you need to go further with college courses. You can choose to study from entry level through to level 3.

Adult courses

Applying for Higher Education

Search for university courses

Apply for university courses



DisabledGo provides information on accessibility in thousands of buildings across the UK and Ireland, including universities.

A guide to accessible universities

If you have Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and may require support in college you can make a request for a statutory EHC Assessment using the Education, Health and Care Hub ( or take a look at Education, Health and Care Plans

Go Overseas

Go Overseas has information studying abroad for students with disabilities

10 Accessible Cities for Studying Abroad with Disabilities and Chronic Conditions

Disability Rights UK

Disability Rights UK can help with information regarding your rights as a student

Disabled Students Helpline

Financial Support for accessing Higher Education

As a higher education student, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability, including a:

  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty, e.g. dyslexia

The support you get depends on your individual needs.

Help if you're a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability

Other information

Find independent schools and colleges

Download a checklist for schools

Find out about 16-19 Bursary funds